The Profile Builder is a tool for use by students, parents, whānau, and educators to help plan study options.
- This tool can be used in three different ways:
- To plan a course, you can enter in standards you would like to do, or are currently doing, and discuss with your teachers, dean, and family or whānau where these might take you.
- To see which Vocational Pathway you are heading along, you can enter the standards offered in your course(s).
- To help track progress towards a NCEA Level 2 Vocational Pathways Award, you can enter your standards at different times through the year, updating your profile as you go.
Find out about achieving an NCEA Level 2 Vocational Pathways Award
- The profile builder tool can be used at each level of NCEA – Levels 1, 2, or 3.
- You can use the literacy and numeracy calculators to work out whether you have met the appropriate literacy and numeracy requirements for each NCEA level.
The profile builder includes standards that have expired in the last two years. This is because these standards can count towards a Vocational Pathways Award for this period of time. If you wish to see a summary of the standards that have expired or are expiring click here.
Use these tools to see which Vocational Pathway(s) your credits fall into. They have been split into three levels:
- Level 1
- Level 2
- Level 3
You can also use our calculators to see whether you’ll achieve:
- NCEA Level 1, NCEA Level 2 and NCEA Level 3
- A Vocational Pathways Award(s)
Please note that these calculators assume that you have met the literacy and numeracy requirements for NCEA Level 1, 2 and 3, and the reading and writing requirements for UE.
- To see the requirements for NCEA, click here.
- To see the requirements for a Vocational Pathways Award, click here.
- To see the requirements for University Entrance, click here.
Note: You must gain NCEA Level 2 before you can get a Vocational Pathways Award(s).
Profile Builder is a tool that allows you to see how your programme aligns with the Vocational Pathways and whether or not you will achieve a Vocational Pathways Award from the credits you have entered into the tool. The Profile Builder tool has three parts:
- Level 1 Profile Builder
- Level 2 Profile Builder
- Level 3 Profile Builder will be released soon
Step One: Click on the tool you want to use from the Profile Builder Home page:
- Level 1 Profile Builder: Use this tool to enter Level 1 credits and calculate whether or not you will achieve NCEA Level 1. You can also enter in credits from any other level into this tool.
- Level 2 Profile Builder: Use this tool to enter Level 2 credits only, and to calculate whether or not you will achieve NCEA Level 2 and a Vocational Pathways Award(s).
- Level 3 Profile Builder: Use this tool to enter Level 3 credits only, and to calculate whether or not you will achieve NCEA Level 3 and University Entrance.
Note: These tools assume that you have met the literacy and numeracy requirements, and satisfied the “20 other credits from any other level” requirement for NCEA Levels 2 and 3.
Step Two: In the Search field, you can enter particular standards into the Profile builder by entering either:
- The standard number e.g. 90976, or
- The subject or domain e.g. Accounting or
- A keyword from a standard title e.g. Electrical
This will generate a list of standards that match the search criteria. Please note that if you add a whole subject/domain, this will add all standards within that subject/domain. If there are some that you want to delete, scroll down to the current selection area and click on the red cross beside the standard that you want to remove.
Step Three: Simply click on the “Add” button to add that standard into the Profile Builder. If the standard you want to add does not appear, try and refine your search criteria.
Note: If you add an entire subject/domain, all of the standards within that domain will automatically be added to your Profile Builder, depending on which level of Profile Builder you are using.
Step Four: The tool will create a bar graph to show your progress towards qualification or award. As you enter standards into the Profile Builderyou will see the bars in the graph start to change depending on which Vocational Pathway(s) those standards are aligned to:
Simply click on the red cross next to the standard you want to delete.
The Profile Builder graph shows you four things about the standards you have entered into it:
- How many of your selected credits are within Vocational Pathways at Level 1 (Lv 1)
- How many of your selected credits are within Vocational Pathways at Level 2 from the Recommended list (Lv 2 R)
- How many of your selected credits are within Vocational Pathways at Level 2 from the Sector-Related list (Lv 2 SR)
- How many of your selected credits are within Vocational Pathways at Level 3 (Lv 3)
When the calculator buttons at the top change colour, the bar graph shows you whether or not the credits you have entered into the tool will result in the achievement of:
- NCEA Level 1 (Shown in the Level 1 Profile Builder ONLY)
- NCEA Level 2
- A Vocational Pathways Award(s)
- NCEA Level 3
- University Entrance (to be released soon)
Please note that all of these calculators assume that you have met the literacy and numeracy requirements for NCEA. If you are unsure, use the Literacy and Numeracy Tool to check.
Step One: Click on the Save link at the top right hand corner of the screen.
Step Two: Enter an email address into the box. This will send a live link to your profile to the email address you specify.
Click on the Print link at the top right hand corner of the screen.
Click the Close button at the top right hand corner of the screen.
The Profile Builder graph shows you at a glance:
- Which Vocational Pathway(s) the standards you enter into it belong to
- How many credits from those standards are in the Recommended list in each pathway
- How many credits from those standards are in the Sector Related list in each pathway
- Whether or not those standards entered will result in achievement of NCEA Level 1, 2 and/or 3
- Whether or not those standards entered will result in a Vocational Pathways Award(s)
This information can help you plan your programme and achievement standard selection according to the Vocational Pathway(s) you want to follow. It also allows education providers to plan courses for specific pathways more easily as they can see whether the suite of assessment standards they are offering will result in a Vocational Pathways Award(s).
You should talk to your Careers Advisors and teachers about your profile. This will help you find out if your school can offer you the standards that you want to study so that you can follow the Vocational Pathway(s) you want to follow.
Visit the Vocational Pathways section of the Youth Guarantee website for more information on which assessment standards make up the various pathways.
Literacy and Numeracy Calculator
ALERT (October-November 2016)
For assessment standards that meet both Reading and Writing requirements it is possible to split the credits to fulfill the literacy requirement for University Entrance. For example, if a student needs 1 credit in reading and 3 credits in writing to meet the requirement, the 4 credits from *Assessment Standard 91201 would be split 1 and 3 respectively.
Please be aware that in the instance of the 73 assessment standards that meet both the Reading and the Writing requirements (see spreadsheet below) the Literacy/Numeracy calculator will give you a full credit count for both Reading and Writing (e.g. 4 credits for each from AS 91201). This is INCORRECT. From these 73 assessment standards the credits can count for either Reading or Writing, OR can be split to contribute to both.
We are working to correct this problem.
Use this tool to identify whether or not you have met the requirements for literacy and numeracy to gain NCEA Level 1, 2 and 3. To see the requirements on the NZQA website, click here
Step One: Choose the Literacy and Numeracy Calculator from the Profile Builder Home page.
Step Two: Filter the list of standards by first choosing the calculator you want:
Step Three: Filter by subject.
Step Four: Select the standards you have done/are planning to do:
Step Five: Once you have satisfied the 10 credit requirement an “Achieved” box will appear on the right hand side of the screen.
Note: If you are completing the Literacy or Numeracy requirements through unit standards you must successfully complete all three before the “Achieved” box activates:
- Literacy: 26622, 26624, 26625.
- Numeracy: 26623, 26626, 26627.