The Profile Builder is a tool that can be used by students, family/whānau and educators to help with planning study options.
This tool can be used in three different ways:
to plan a course, you can enter in standards you would like to do, or are currently doing and discuss with your teachers, dean and family or whānau where these might be taking you
to help you see which Vocational Pathway you are heading along you can enter the standards offered in your course(s)
To help track progress towards a NCEA Level 2 Vocational Pathways Award you can enter your standards at different times through the year and see your profile updating. For more information about achieving an NCEA Level 2 Vocational Pathways Award have a look at http://youthguarantee.net.nz/vocational-pathways/
The profile builder tool can be used at each Level of NCEA - Level 1, 2 or 3.
You can use the Literacy and Numeracy calculators to work out whether you have met the appropriate Literacy and Numeracy requirements for each Level of NCEA.
Literacy and Numeracy CalculatorLiteracy and numeracy calculator
Use this tool to identify whether or not you have met the requirements for literacy and numeracy to gain NCEA Level 1, 2 and 3. To see the requirements on the NZQA website, click here
Step One: Choose the Literacy and Numeracy Calculator from the Profile Builder Home page.
Step Two: Filter the list of standards by first choosing the calculator you want:
Step Three: Filter by subject.
Step Four: Select the standards you have done/are planning to do:
Step Five: Once you have satisfied the 10 credit requirement an “Achieved” box will appear on the right hand side of the screen.
Note: If you are completing the Literacy or Numeracy requirements through unit standards you must successfully complete all three before the “Achieved” box activates:
- Literacy: 26622, 26624, 26625.
- Numeracy: 26623, 26626, 26627.
Use these tools to see which Vocational Pathway(s) your credits fall into. They have been split into three levels:
- Level 1
- Level 2
- Level 3
You can also use our calculators to see whether you’ll achieve:
- NCEA Level 1, NCEA Level 2 and NCEA Level 3
- A Vocational Pathways Award(s)
Please note that these calculators assume that you have met the literacy and numeracy requirements for NCEA Level 1, 2 and 3, and the reading and writing requirements for UE.
- To see the requirements for NCEA, click here.
- To see the requirements for a Vocational Pathways Award, click here.
- To see the requirements for University Entrance, click here.
Note: You must gain NCEA Level 2 before you can get a Vocational Pathways Award(s).
The Profile Builder is a tool that allows you to see how your programme aligns with the Vocational Pathways and whether or not you will achieve a Vocational Pathways Award from the credits you have entered into the tool. The Profile Builder tool has four parts:
- Level 1 Profile Builder
- Level 2 Profile Builder
- Level 3 Profile Builder for achievement standards
- Literacy and numeracy tool
Step One: Click on the tool you want to use from the Profile Builder Home page:
- Level 1 Profile Builder: Use this tool to enter Level 1 credits from unit and achievement standards and calculate whether or not you will achieve NCEA Level 1. You can also enter in credits from any other level into this tool.
- Level 2 Profile Builder: Use this tool to enter Level 2 credits from unit and achievement standards, and to calculate whether or not you will achieve NCEA Level 2 and a Vocational Pathways Award(s).
- Level 3 Profile Builder: Use this tool to enter Level 3 credits from achievement standards only, and to calculate whether or not you will achieve NCEA Level 3 and University Entrance.
Note: These tools assume that you have met the literacy and numeracy requirements, and satisfied the “20 other credits from any other level” requirement for NCEA Levels 2 and 3. To check if you have fulfilled the literacy and numeracy requirement you can use the literacy and numeracy tool or go to nzqa.govt.nz
Step Two: In the Search field, you can enter particular standards into the Profile builder by entering either:
- The standard number e.g. 90976, or
- The subject or domain e.g. Accounting or
- A keyword from a standard title e.g. Electrical
This will generate a list of standards that match the search criteria. Please note that if you add a whole subject/domain, this will add all standards within that subject/domain. If there are some that you want to delete, scroll down to the current selection area and click on the red cross beside the standard that you want to remove.
Step Three: Click on the “Add” button to add that standard into the Profile Builder. If the standard you want to add does not appear, try and refine your search criteria. The standard may not appear if it has not been selected for inclusion in a Vocational Pathway.
Note: If you add an entire subject/domain, all of the standards within that domain will automatically be added to your Profile Builder, depending on which level of Profile Builder you are using.
Step Four: The tool will create a bar graph to show your progress towards NCEA and a Vocational Pathways Award. As you enter standards into the Profile Builder you will see the bars in the graph start to change depending on which Vocational Pathway(s) those standards are aligned to:
Simply click on the red cross next to the standard you want to delete.
The Profile Builder graph shows you four things about the standards you have entered into it:
- How many of your selected credits are within Vocational Pathways at Level 1 (Lv 1)
- How many of your selected credits are within Vocational Pathways at Level 2 from the Recommended list (Lv 2 R)
- How many of your selected credits are within Vocational Pathways at Level 2 from the Sector-Related list (Lv 2 SR)
- How many of your selected credits are within Vocational Pathways at Level 3 (Lv 3)
To know more about the differences between Recommended and Sector-Related go to http://www.youthguarantee.net.nz/vocational-pathways/
When the calculator buttons at the top change colour, the bar graph shows you whether or not the credits you have entered into the tool will result in the achievement of:
- NCEA Level 1 (Shown in the Level 1 Profile Builder ONLY)
- NCEA Level 2
- A Vocational Pathways Award(s)
- NCEA Level 3
- University Entrance (to be released soon)
Please note that all of these calculators assume that you have met the literacy and numeracy requirements for NCEA. If you are unsure, use the Literacy and Numeracy Tool to check or look at the nzqa website.
Step One: Click on the Save link at the top right hand corner of the screen.
Step Two: Enter an email address into the box. This will send a live link to your profile to the email address you specify.
Click on the Print link at the top right hand corner of the screen.
Click the Close button at the top right hand corner of the screen.
The Profile Builder graph shows you at a glance:
- Which Vocational Pathway(s) the standards you enter into it belong to
- How many credits from those standards are in the Recommended list in each pathway
- How many credits from those standards are in the Sector Related list in each pathway
- Whether or not those standards entered will result in achievement of NCEA Level 1, 2 and/or 3
- Whether or not those standards entered will result in a Vocational Pathways Award(s)
This information can help you plan your programme and standard selection according to the Vocational Pathway(s) you want to follow. It also allows education providers to plan courses for specific pathways more easily as they can see whether the suite of assessment standards they are offering will result in a Vocational Pathways Award(s).
You should talk to your careers advisors, teachers, family and whānau about your profile. This will help you figure out what you would like to study (or whether your current programme is right for you) and what Vocational Pathways you want to follow, or are on.